Driving in Karachi (from the Backseat )
Being someone who drives in Karachi, one misses out on a lot of the environment, in trying to focus on staying alive in this mad mad traffic of ours. After many months today, I had the privilege of being driven today and I noticed so many things on my short foray to the nursery for a meeting. i share a few…
1. it’s gotten steadily dustier in the city with so much construction taking place but no sign of any new greenery. I hope our citymakers don’t think an underpass and a flyover and half is compensation for no trees!
2. driving past billboards and getting the famous 7-second glace is so much better than being a passenger and being subjected to longer doses of bad design and devoid-of-social-obligations-advertising
3. people have absolutely no qualms about talking on the cell phone and driving with one hand, while eating an apple and trying to change the radio station at the same time. I know Karachiites can multitask but…can we do so another time please?
4. the number of underage drivers has markedly increased.
5. no matter who is driving which car, on the bumpy roads of Karachi, every driver is an uneducated, crass-mouthed, honking, impatient, sans etiquette equal, who just wants to get where he’s going faster than the person on either side.