Collateral Damage

No, im not going to post anything about the war going on between Lebanon and Israel.

Im talking about our army of ‘electronic servants’ who respond to our every whim and make our lives much better. (By providing even more ways to waste time :p). Im talking about our computers, TV’s and such.

The increased moisture in the air, thanks to the monsoon season, is messing up with electronics.. especially at home. Imran Qadri reports his laptop and home pc started acting wierd after the rains started. Even though they used to work okay in Europe (more humidity here?).

I’ve myself witnessed two computers refusing to start-up because of moisture.. had to open them up, clean out circuits and what not, before they would even respond.. My mobile also got damaged this time… when it slipped out of my hand and into a puddle of water :@ Other reports i’ve heard is people loosing their (beloved?) TV sets thanks to faulty wiring by cable networks, and subsequent short circuiting!

Any more of you out there with collateral damage stories?

Idea Credit: Imran Quadri

10 Comments so far

  1. IllusionFS (unregistered) on August 8th, 2006 @ 5:42 pm

    Everythings absolutely fine Alhumdulillah and I have not heard of any damaged electronics from anyone so far.


  2. Imran Quadri (unregistered) on August 8th, 2006 @ 5:44 pm

    Mansoor, thanks for publishing my idea.. but dude u got my name wrong.. kindly look into it..thanks


  3. mansoor (unregistered) on August 8th, 2006 @ 6:04 pm

    illusion: lucky u :p

    imran: your welcome! and i apologize for the name typo. All fixed now :)


  4. Salman Ahmed (unregistered) on August 8th, 2006 @ 6:30 pm

    well my microwave oven recently burnt due to voltage
    fluctuation which has been going on since the rainy season and loadshedding started…

    laptop refusing to start could be temperature of processor getting high if its a normal pentium instead of Pentium Mobile processor…

    his name is still misspelled “Imran Qadri reports…”


  5. Nadir Nasir (unregistered) on August 9th, 2006 @ 10:40 am

    Imran Quadri: Add a [“with a ‘quad’ not ‘qad’] with your name :P

    (No Offences)

    But i really don’t think that himidity would result in short circuits or anything else… Sudden temperature changes might let the water wapors to condense in circuits, but usually its not likely to cause short circuits…

    My TV’s sound is dead… my computer hang up, my fried’s laptop dies, he was trying to install windows in his laptop every 15 minutes it closes… no hanging nothing just dead… repeatedly 15 – 20 time.

    BUT, is all that coz of moisture? I don’t think so…

    Yes i do agree that the due to rain several other samages have occured….


  6. Umer Zaman (unregistered) on August 9th, 2006 @ 11:05 am

    Hair Dryer !!
    havent u all heard of the invention hair dryer.. my cousins live at sea view and they have been using it over 2 years now to start up the computer monitor.. they have even fixed up a stand for the dryer.. whenever they wanna use it they switch it on for good 20 minutes and then the monitor works absolutely fine, otherwise it just wouldnt show any picture =D


  7. mansoor (unregistered) on August 9th, 2006 @ 11:53 am

    imran: sorry about the name issue man! happens sometimes :$

    umer: lOl!!! now dats funny!!!


  8. Imran Quadri (unregistered) on August 10th, 2006 @ 8:35 pm

    Well yes friend, i now about the Hair dryer treatment.. its wayy old.. but it doesnt help u if the electric circuits fries…………….


  9. wasiq (unregistered) on August 11th, 2006 @ 2:29 am

    Remember i mentioned last thursday that my incense and the damp-proof matches are not burning due to the dampness,well today the same things burned as if nothing has happened…..that is why we say here in karachi…AAISA TOH HOTA HAI BARD-AY SHEHROUN MEIN…


  10. Rod Green (unregistered) on August 16th, 2006 @ 7:39 am

    I read this today in an data recovery ad. But this is a well Known fact.

    Mother Boards that are experiencing an intermittent failure _usually caused by a non-enegized mother board coming in contact with a water/liqid vapor which thne evaportates and leaves a dissolved salts. These salts crystalize out onto the board can cause shourt circuits when the board is eventully energized. Damage can be catastrophic or less obvious. The sals contunue to attract moisture which can cause further corroison and failure.Of course if water or moisture is present when the computer starts well you no!



Terms of use | Privacy Policy | Content: Creative Commons | Site and Design © 2009 | Metroblogging ® and Metblogs ® are registered trademarks of Bode Media, Inc.