Empress Market- Past & Present

image002.jpg

The Empress Market is located on the Preedy Street, Saddar Bazar and is one of the seven oldest Bazaars of the city.

The foundation stone for this Market was laid on November 10,1884 by the Governor of Bombay, sir James Furguson. On completion the inaugrtaion was done by the then Commissioner of Sindh Richard on March 21, 1889.
This market was named to commemorate Queen Victoria’s (Empress of India) silver jubilee. It was designed by James Strachan, the foundations were completed by the English firm of A.J. Attfield, and the building constructed by the local firm of ‘Mahoomed Niwan and Dulloo Khejoo’. The cost of the construction of the structure was 120,000 Rs. Only (Golden times!!)
(Photograph taken by an unknown photographer in 1900)
The building was arranged around a courtyard, 130 ft by 100 ft, with four galleries each 46 ft wide. The galleries provided accommodation for 258 shops and 341 stalls for vegetables, meat and poultry.
empress1.jpg
A 140 ft tower is on the front side of the main gate which had clocks on all four sides. These clocks used to tell time in melody.(All four clocks are out of order now)
110 old this building never had any silver, golden or platinum jubilee celebrations like the KMC Building and hence no officials ever pondered on mending the historical clocks of the market’s tower.

Comments are closed.


Terms of use | Privacy Policy | Content: Creative Commons | Site and Design © 2009 | Metroblogging ® and Metblogs ® are registered trademarks of Bode Media, Inc.