Party time @ Shell Select

As everybody in karachi and readers of KMB know, Karachi had the biggest rainfall today in the current monsoon season. It was so bad, it left many people on foot, leaving behind their cars and bikes where they had closed down and try to trek home.

However, there was another side to this story as well. The one thing which almost never escapes Karachiites is the need to “enjoy the weather”. This i witnessed @ the Shell Select just after the nursery flyover today, while stopping there for fuel.

The whole place was jam packed! People, knowing they wouldnt be moving in the traffic, crossed the road and entered the store, seeking chocolates, pizzas, sandwiches, drinks, juices and hot espresso coffee. Even the poor cashier couldnt punch up the orders fast enough, causing a long line at the counter as well. People took their edibles outside, and had them watching the spectacle (of the jam) unfolding before them.

Whatever happens in the city, Karachiites can always make time to enjoy through their dilemma some way or the other.

4 Comments so far

  1. Tee (unregistered) on August 18th, 2006 @ 12:21 am

    oh it was really really bad. So many people i know had to walk for miles to get home, water entered along with mud and ruined the house of a frend, public transport disappeared, one of my friends has her office on IIC and the last i heard, she was planning to spend the night there along with a couple of other females, a man got electrocuted near a relative’s house… aint pretty at all. Any news of a holiday tomorrow anyone?

  2. danny (unregistered) on August 18th, 2006 @ 1:27 am

    Could someone post pics of the rain when the bijli returns? Thanks!

  3. Cy (unregistered) on August 18th, 2006 @ 3:02 am

    Mansoor: I know you’re enthusiastic and all, but you really think those people were ‘enjoying’ themselves? Seriously?

  4. K.A. (unregistered) on August 20th, 2006 @ 3:33 pm

    Well when I got stuck on Sh-e-Faisal, there were 3 gentlemen in a car and a lady in another one. We crawled a few millimeters and then all came to a stop. After a while everyone got out and we 5 sort of formed a group and started chatting, one of the gentlemen managed to bring some hot tea and we just sat there on the sidewalk and talked for the better part of 3 hours. Didn’t feel the time slip by and then we were on our way.

Terms of use | Privacy Policy | Content: Creative Commons | Site and Design © 2009 | Metroblogging ® and Metblogs ® are registered trademarks of Bode Media, Inc.